Sunday, August 14, 2011

What about IMA’s BL Program?

Until now, I’ve had some fun with this blog. It’s been about boots, blisters and media coverage. But now, I’d like to tell you about the important work being done in Tanzania. Let me tell you the real reason I’m attempting to make this climb – Burkitt’s lymphoma.

Burkitt’s lymphoma is an aggressive childhood cancer that usually affects children between the ages of 3-14 years old. In most cases, it appears as a fast growing facial tumor but it can also appear in the abdomen and extremities.

If left untreated – it can be fatal.

It’s most prevalent in areas of Africa where malaria is common. I’m told there is a connection between the Epstein-Barr virus and Burkitt’s but I’m in the communications department – I'm not a doctor. I’ll leave that explanation to more qualified people.

Here is what I do know.

When properly treated, a child can make a dramatic recovery. In many cases, parents bring their children to the clinic thinking the child will never make it home. They are listless, unable to eat and hardly move.

After one treatment, the child will start showing improvement and in some cases doctors will see the tumor reduce in size in just a couple hours.

A child typically needs 6 treatments to complete a cycle and here is the amazing part – each treatment averages $150.

It’s amazing to me to think that a child can be successfully treated at such a minimal cost.
IMA does great work every day - but this program stands out to me.

I have two energetic boys and I think the world of them. I can’t imagine being in those parent’s shoes- knowing there is a successful treatment for their child but not having the means to provide it for them.

Every child with cancer deserves a chance to live.

And that’s what this program does - every day.

2 comments:

Kathy Erb said...

Hey Chris! I'm impressed with your training and commitment to the cause. I started running in the spring and have barely pushed past my original route in a few months time. So, good for you and best of luck bringing attention to an important cause!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work, Chris. I'm enjoying your posts and am following your journey with great interest. By the way, I had lunch with "the" Dr Burkitt about 20 years ago when he spoke at F&M. I'll have to tell you about it when you get back.