Monday, August 8, 2011

Good fitting shoes


I’ve never been very good at breaking in new boots. I’ve heard of so many different ways to do it but never had much success. I always end up adding extra socks and hope the blisters don’t get too big before break in the boots.

I knew I was in trouble a couple months ago when my old hiking boots started to fall apart. I had them for 5 years and they were great.

Sore feet are something I don’t want to deal with when I’m on the side of the mountain. That could make or break the trip.

So I came up with a plan, I’d go find the exact same boots I bought before. They should fit the same way, right?

Wrong, I’ve been hiking in them for more than a month and they still start to rub after a couple hours.

I have matching blisters on the inside of each heel from my current pair. They haven’t cost me time while training, but they are starting to look bad as you can see by the photo.

I have a few more weeks to figure this out. Does anyone have any advice?

2 comments:

Cheryl S. said...

Have you tried wearing polypropylene socks. These wisk the moisture away from your feet and help avoid blisters. Cotton socks hold the moisture and can cause blisters.

Cheryl

Unknown said...

I'm guessing by 'falling apart' you mean having your old boots re-soled is not an option. I've had a pair of Timberlands forever, and they're probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. I didn't want to break in a new pair, so I had the old ones re-soled about two years ago. The sole quality isn't the same -- it's already wearing down -- but I still have the boots.