Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Training Hike - Michaux State Forest

This week I decided to change things up a bit. I added a little more weight to my pack and hit the mountains west of Gettysburg in search of hills.
Link
Up until now, my training has consisted of long road hikes. This is good for endurance but not so great when it comes to climbing a steep incline.

I quickly found that out when I started up my first incline, but I kept telling my self... slow and steady wins the race. I knew I’d finish it was just a matter of time.

I started at Pole Steeple near Michaux State Forest; it was a good warm up for the day. From there I picked up a portion of the Appalachian Trail until I reached a trail called Sunset Rocks.

That’s where it started to get interesting.

Sunset Rocks is a beautiful place to hike but you have to climb about a quarter mile at a very steep grade before you hit level ground again. I’ve hiked it before but not after a long hike - and never with an extra 25-30 pounds on my back.

But hey, if it was easy I wouldn’t improve - right?

Either way, I made it to the top - grabbed a drink of water and a granola bar and turned back down the hill toward the car.

Normally, I’d stay for a while and enjoy the view but it seems like there are a million loose ends to tie up before I leave for Africa.

I’m excited about this trip, but the reality of it is beginning to set in.

Only 16 days until I board the plane!

2 comments:

Greg B said...

Hi Chris,

I live in Lancaster and climbed this mountain 5 yrs ago. I will be happy to give you some advice or info if you think it will be helpful. Kilimanjaro was my first world class mountain as well. Let me know how I can reach you and I will be happy to call.

fotoguy said...

Hi Greg,
Yes, that would be great! Please email me offline at chrisglass@imaworldhealth.org and we can work out a time to talk.