Thursday, August 18, 2011

One Day Away!

I’m told it will take about 32 hours to travel from my front to Dar es Salaam, the capital of Tanzania and the first stop on my three week trip through southern Africa.

This blog is dedicated to documenting my attempt to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro but the real reason for this trip is to document IMA’s work in the field.

I’ll be carrying my notepad, camera and video camera to bring back valuable information for our donors and the website.

A lot of people donate their hard-earned money to support IMA and this type of trip will let them know just where it is going. It’s important for people to see the type of impact they can make with their donation.

And we’re very serious about stretching the dollar.

That’s probably one of the reasons Forbes picked us as one of the most efficient non-profits in the United States for three years in a row.

While in Tanzania I’ll see our Burkitt’s Lymphoma program in action, our HIV/AIDS program and I’ll get to see the start of a new cervical cancer program at the Shirati Mennonite Hospital.

Then I’ll go to the Democratic Republic of Congo, where I’ll see safe houses in the USHINDI program, a USAID-funded program to support survivors of mass rape in the eastern provinces of North and South Kivu. Women are given a safe place to stay where they can get counseling, medical treatment and legal assistance to help bring justice to their attackers.

It will be a whirlwind trip and I'll cover a lot of ground before taking my first step on the mountain.

All of these programs are necessary and effective… and I can’t wait to see them in person.

No comments: