Sunday, August 21, 2011

Politics at 35,000 feet

It’s official - I’m in Tanzania!

The trip was long, but there are no issues to report. The highlight of the flight was sitting beside a nice couple from Germany on their way to Tanzania to take a safari. We talked about traveling, politics, families, social issues and economics.

We had time to kill. Actually, we had more than 8 hours to kill before landing in Arusha.

I appreciate the conversation – not because it was a time filler- but because of their perspective on the culture in the US.

I enjoy traveling for many different reasons, but I most enjoy the chance to see the US… to see my culture from a different point of view.

It’s not an easy thing to do when you get into the routine of daily life. The gas station attendant would probably look at me a little funny if I asked for their thoughts on the economy and how to fix it.

I certainly lucked out meeting my new friends. We didn’t agree on everything but we worked out most of the problems in the US - and a few in Germany- in one 8-hour flight.

If only it could be that easy!

I hope they enjoy their safari and I hope they enjoy reading this post. They certainly made the last leg of a long flight fly by.

Pun intended.

No comments: