Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The training hike


I decided to take a short 2 hour hike up past an area named Zebra Rocks where I could get a good look at the mountain.

It was a steep and tiring trail but when I reached the top I was able to get my first look at Kilimanjaro. I stopped in the middle of “the saddle”. The saddle is an area of high desert at the base of Kilimanjaro.

It’s dry, windy, cold and unforgiving. There isn’t much growing in that area… it reminded me of photos from the lunar landing.

But it did offer me an incredible view of the mountain and the trail ahead. I was able to see the steepest section of trail that leads to Gilman’s Point.

I had heard of this from other hikers. Yes, It’s steep… but it’s also covered with loose rock called scree. I’ll get to that later in the post.

It was an impressive view but it was a little intimidating. When I turned to hike back down to Horombo for the night, I started to worry a little.

Was I strong enough to do this?

I’d find out soon enough.

3 comments:

bestofnepal said...

Welcome to island peak climbing Nepal Himalaya. It is the best option to give mount. Everest base camp as well as other Everest region trekking in Nepal. If you have 17 days, you finished both island peak and Everest base camp.

Kilimanjaro Tours said...

Your post was truly impressive. I daily search articles and study for a Climbing Kilimanjaro, I found your blog useful and interesting. Thanks for posting.

JackJohnson said...

Climb Kilimanjaro

Climb Kilimanjaro - Are you looking for Climb in Kilimanjaro? Gems Bok Tours provide the best route to climb Kilimanjaro with the best way. Contact us - +255 765 058 087.

to get more -https://gemsboktours.com/aboutus/