Thursday, July 14, 2011

A LITTLE BIT ABOUT ME

The inspiration came a couple months ago.

I was sitting in my cube listening to a co-worker was tell stories about his travels in Africa.

“You know, when you go to Africa – you should climb Mt. Kilimanjaro.” he said in passing.

Sure, I thought.

I can do that.

That conversation was back in February and it started my research about the mountain and the guides who take newbies like me to the top.

I was going to be ready when the time came.

Since coming to IMA World Health to be their Communications Officer, I knew a trip to Africa was coming. A few weeks ago, I was asked to go to Tanzania and the DR Congo on August 19th.

I’ve always considered myself to be athletic, but not overly athletic. I’ll take some risks, but I wouldn’t consider myself a risk-taker.

In my eyes, the most exceptional thing about me is my loving family. I have a very supportive wife of 12 years and two wonderful sons, Ethan (7) and Jake (4).

Every day I tell people about the great work IMA World Health is doing around the world. We’re a relatively small group of people who work out of an office nestled in between farm fields in New Windsor, MD.

I’m surrounded by humble people who do the work that change – and save- lives around the world.

As a communications person, I tell their stories but I have yet to feel like I’m a contributor.

I feel like this hike is my chance.

I’m going to hike this mountain to raise awareness of the impact of Non Communicable Diseases in Africa, specifically our Burkitt’s Lymphoma (BL) program in Tanzania.







BL is a childhood cancer that is prevalent in Tanzania, in fact, many are effected in the area surrounding Mt. Kilimanjaro.

BL can cause extremely painful and disfiguring swelling of the jaw, eyes, face and abdomen. It attacks quickly and can be fatal within weeks if not treated promptly and appropriately.

Fortunately BL is treatable with chemotherapy, and the success rates are very high if the appropriate treatment regimen is followed.

I’ll continue to post updates as I train for my trek.

I’ll have more information on BL, the growing Non Communicable Disease problem in the developing world, my training and hopefully some posts from the side of Kilimanjaro.

So follow along and I’ll tell you my story… and hopefully it’ll end with me standing on the highest point in Africa.

If you want to donate to support our BL program you can make a secure donation here.

4 comments:

emily @ cabin fervor said...

Kilimanjaro is a big mountain, but BL is a great cause. Good luck!

GomaFinn said...

Dear Chris,

After four failed attempts to reach the summit of Kili I applaud your efforts and pledge $100 to IMA should you successfully reach Uhuru Peak. Even if you are foiled by altitude sickness before summiting I will still contribute $50 to the IMA BL program.

We are most heartily with you on your attempt and will be happy to hear, when the time comes, that you will be one of the very few people on earth who have stood 'on the roof of Africa'.

Bless you and this endeavor from the shores of Lake Kivu at the foot of Mt. Nyiragongo!

All the best,

Charles

Anonymous said...

More movies!

fotoguy said...

More movies are coming! The training is continuing but I've been swamped with work the last couple of days.