Monday, July 25, 2011

BirthdayTraining Hike: 19 miles

When I woke up this morning I felt like an old man, my back ached… my legs were sore.

No, it’s not because I had a birthday Sunday.

It’s because I finished the longest hike on my self-imposed training schedule.

I stopped at 19 miles but I was ready to call it quits at 17. As you’ll see in my video clip, I misjudged the amount of water I needed to complete this hike and the final couple miles were a struggle.

I made it from my adopted hometown of Red lion, Pa to Lancaster County. Actually, I made it about 7 miles into Lancaster County.

Here is how my route planning normally goes - I walk out my front door, choose a direction and hike until I’m tired. I’ve been at it for the past 6 weeks and I’m seeing some progress. When I started I was only able to go about 8 miles but now I’m pushing 20 miles.

It may seem strange but it makes sense to me, if I’m going to be hiking a long distance – I should train by hiking long distances.

I’ve also found that it’s a great way to clear the mind and relax.

I’ll be leaving next Sunday at 6am - if anyone wants to tag along, shoot me an email and we’ll hit the road.


No comments: