Thursday, July 14, 2011

COCA-COLA ROUTE

I’m told it’s called the Coca-Cola route by some.

It doesn’t sound very intimidating but I keep reminding myself that will take me up 19,000 feet in a matter of 3-4 days.
When I’m having my moments of doubt - that can be intimidating.
The actual name is the Marangu Route and from the stories I’ve heard from others who have successfully completed the hike – it’s one of the easier paths to the top.
This isn’t mountain hiking like you see on TV; there are no ropes or ice axes carving away at the side of the mountain. If I end up hanging from a rope, something has gone drastically wrong.
I’m told this is more of an endurance test. It’s a long walk that takes you to the highest point in Africa.
I’ll start in shorts and a t-shirt, surrounded by lush vegetation and end in snow gear crossing a permanent snow pack.
I’ve been researching this hike for quite a while but there is one unknown I can’t train for – altitude sickness.
That can be a deal breaker when attempting to climb Kilimanjaro. As soon as someone begins to show symptoms they must come down immediately.
So far my training has consisted of running 4-5 miles per night and taking a long hike on Sundays. My longest trek has been 19 miles.
I’m trying to compensate by building up my endurance since I can’t simulate that type of altitude while living in the rolling hills of South-Central Pennsylvania.
Hopefully, that will be enough.

2 comments:

Lauri said...

Chris, I am envious as all get out. Terrific journey. I am sure will do great. I'll be sure to follow your posts.
Lauri Lebo

fotoguy said...

Thanks Lori, I'm just getting this blog off the ground. Glad your reading it! I'm told I'll have cell service part way up the mountain... I'm going to try to send updates as I'm climbing.